Parents of Pelham elementary school students will have a chance to participate in an authentic learning experience in math with their children at Family Math Night on Feb. 2.
Nine Pelham teachers will lead two sessions in which parents will see for themselves how:
- Math is taught in grades K-5,
- Teachers use algorithms and how they are taught through a conceptual understanding of mathematical concepts, and
- Parents can support their child’s learning in math at home.
Four half hour sessions will be offered twice:
- K-1: Story Problems
- Gr. 2-3: Number Sense and Composing and Decomposing Numbers
- Gr. 4-5: Division and Multiplication
- Grade 4-5: Fractions
Children will participate in all activities along with you.
Teachers leading the sessions are: Kate Alix, Christina Altero, Linda Carlson, Jennifer Devico, Beth Finklestein, Tricia Galloway, Emily Kayser, Ron Martucci, and Simona Vasile.
Program will take place at Pelham Middle School from 7 p.m. to 8:15 p.m.