All eyes will be on New York as the fastest horses in the country gear up for the 2014 Belmont Stakes race this weekend. Here are 6 things you should know before you go:
- While the race takes place in Queens, the parties are set for Long Island. Garden City is proudly hosting the 17th Annual Belmont Festival to welcome the participants in the final leg of the Triple Crown.
- The celebration will kick off at 6 p.m. June 6 and run until 10 p.m. The festival is contained to Seventh Street between Hilton Avenue and Franklin Avenue.
- The festival caters to all ages. Adults can grab a drink and enjoy live music while the kids can partake in face painting, pony rides, games, and treats.
Don't miss a charity Wing-Off during the festival to benefit the Ace in the Hole Foundation. The fundraiser took in $2,000 last year for the charity that honors Garden City's First Lt. Michael LiCalzi, who lost his life in 2006 while serving in Operation Iraqi Freedom. Garden City's Prost Grill and Garten came in first last year. Who will win this year?
- Those meandering around the streets of Garden City may spot a jockey or trainer as many are reportedly staying at the Garden City Hotel during the race.
- For safety purposes, all cars must be removed from Seventh Street by 4 p.m., at which time the street will close to traffic for the duration of the festival.