Instead of 5 fun things for the week ahead, here are five important things you can do in preparation for Hurricane Sandy. It is possible to weather the severe storm conditions in the days ahead by planning, staying calm and keeping informed.
1) Prepare to leave. Whether or not you are planning to stay at home during Hurricane Sandy, you should prepare to leave just in case you need to on short notice. Pelham Town House will be available to anyone who needs to leave home.
Pack bags for family members with change of clothes, toiletries, prescriptions, insurance documents, passports and other identification. Prepare pet kennels, identification and medicines. Gather paper maps and atlases in case GPS service is unavailable when you need it.
2) Secure your property. Make sure your gutters and storm drains are free of leaves and debris. Move garbage cans, lawn furniture and decorations to a safe place. Check for children's toys, bicycles and other items. Make sure you have flashlights, portable radio and batteries. Extra cell phone batteries come in handy. Read the directions to make sure you properly operate equipment like power generators.
3) Gather your important numbers. Make sure you have a list of important phone numbers and contact information including your doctors, insurance agents, nearby relatives and friends.
4) Organize your activities. Pull out board games, cards and books to pass the time.
5) Check in with elderly neighbors or anyone who might be vulnerable. If you think you might be vulnerable, check in with local police before the storm and consider sheltering at Pelham Town House.