Here's a few things to watch for the week ahead:
1) ElderServe Program for Alzheimer Caregivers, Monday, October 15, 1- 5 p.m., The Alzheimer’s Advisory Committee of ElderServe’s Safe Center for Seniors will present “When Families & Friends Care,” a free conference for seniors, family and professional caregivers at the New Rochelle Office for the Aging, 94 Davis Ave., New Rochelle. Workshop topics will include ways to better communicate with doctors and family members, how to tap into resources and support services, ways to lower stress and how to create a “no fall zone” in your home to ensure safety for your loved one. There will also be a workshop on how to recognize signs of Alzheimer’s disease and how to manage changes in behavior. To register, call (914) 368-5506.
2) Superintendent Search Update, Pelham School District Board of Education meeting, Monday, October 15, 8 p.m. Pelham Memorial High School, 575 Colonial Ave, Pelham. This study session will include a report from consultants Hazard, Young, Attea and Associates on the search process for a new superintendent.
3) Shopping Charity event at NoMa Social, Wednesday, October 17, 6:30- 10:30 p.m. NoMa Social at Radisson Hotel, New Rochelle. A charity event to raise money and awareness toward Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Vendors such as Visalus, Smooch Children’s Boutique, Soma Boutique, Stella &Dot, Ice Jewelry by Randi and plenty more are expected to showcase at the event. Percentage from each vendor fee will be donated to the cause. For more information visit http://www.nomasocial.com/ or call 914-576-4141.
4) Games for Gardens, fundraiser for Garden Club of New Rochelle, 19 the Boulevard, New Rochelle, Wednesday, Oct. 17, 11:30 a.m. Admission for this lunchtime fundraiser is $30 per person and includes gourmet box lunch from Dinner in Hand Catering. Bring your own games (cards, Scrabble, etc.). Proceeds support several green spaces throughout New Rochelle. Call Catherine McSweeney at (914) 576-3126 for more information.
5) Reach, Teach and Practice: Autism and Education, Saturday, October 20, 7:30 p.m. Pelham Public Library, 530 Colonial Ave., Pelham. With Barbara Boroson, author of Autism Spectrum Disorders in the Mainstream Classroom: How to Reach and Teach Students with ASDs.Co-sponsored with SEPTA. Call (914) 738-1234 for more details.