Current forecast (Late Monday/Early Tuesday)
Hurricane Sandy has claimed at least four lives in the Lower Hudson Valley as of late Monday night/early Tuesday morning.
A tree crashed through a home in Pearl River at about 6 p.m. Monday, killing a man and placing his family in the hospital.
In North Salem, a tree came down Monday evening, killing two middle school-aged boys.
A motorist on the Sprain Brook Parkway in Greenburgh died due to the foul weather Monday evening, as well, according to reports.
The storm—an amalgam of several foul weather patterns—brought its worst rains and winds through the region between 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. Monday.
The National Hurricane Center was no longer labeling Sandy a hurricane as of 7 p.m. Monday, as it teetered on the edge of the northeast coastline—but the squall still held amazing power.
Nearly all municipalities in Westchester, Rockland and Putnam have declared states of emergency, with evacuations in effect in Port Chester, Piermont, Yonkers and other villages and cities. Thousands throughout the three counties are without power.
Roads are populated by emergency vehicles, branches and debris. The Tappan Zee Bridge closed down to motorists at 4 p.m. Monday due to high winds.
The Hudson River is crashing through barriers and flooding coastlines along Nyack, Piermont, Tarrytowns and the river villages in Westchester. East, on the Sound Shore, the Long Island Sound is submerging parts of Rye and Port Chester.
Road closures and power outages
- MTA suspending all bus, railroad, and subway service starting at 7 p.m. on Sunday.
- Tappan Zee Bridge speed limit cut to 35 mph due to high winds. If winds reach 60 mph or more the bridge will be closed to traffic.
Cancellations and rain dates
- Pelham Schools: All schools in Pelham Union Free School District are closed for Monday, October 29 and Tuesday, October 30.
- Pelham Library: Closed.
- Westchester County: Because of the threat of inclement weather, the regular meeting of the Westchester County Board of Legislators (BOL) scheduled for Oct. 29 has been changed from 7 PM to 11 AM.
- Westchester County: The scheduled celebration of Italian Heritage Month planned for Monday evening before the BOL meeting has been postponed. A new date for the celebration has not been decided yet.
- Westchester County: The veterans town hall scheduled for Tuesday, Oct. 30 is cancelled. It will be rescheduled for a later date.
Patch's full coverage
- Hurricane Power Outages Reported in Pelham Manor
- What's Open/Closed In Pelham?
- [UPDATED] Red Cross Opens Five Emergency Shelters
- Attorney General Warns Against Price Gouging
- Residents Prepare for Sandy's Onslaught [PHOTOS]
- How You Can Prep For Hurricane Sandy [VIDEO]
- Cuomo Declares State of Emergency for New York
- NYS Thruway Preps for Hurricane Sandy
- Astorino Urges Residents to Prepare for Storm
- Video: MTA Prepping for Storm
- Storm Preparation: Do You Have A Checklist?
Do you know of an event cancellation? Please add it to the comment section attached to this article and update the event in our free Patch calendar to notify the community.