1) Fall Harvest Story Hour, Prasanthi Yoga Studio, 136 Fifth Ave, Pelham, NY Let’s welcome the Fall Harvest with a special story hour hosted by Cindy Finegan! Bring your little one to an introductory free Storytime class on Monday, October 1, starting at 9:30 am. Using theatrical storytelling skills to make every word “jump” off the page, Ms. Finegan incorporates the children into the class. No need to just sit and listen, come join us and be part of the story! Limited availability. Advanced reservations are required. For more information, please call 914-380-4668 or email email@example.com
2) Pelham Larks Open House Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 7:30 pm
1415 Pelhamdale Ave, Pelham, NY. FREE. The Pelham Larks is a women's singing group based in the Town of Pelham, NY. The Larks sing in 4-part harmony, both accompanied and a cappella, at various functions in and around Pelham. The Pelham Larks organization was established in 1952. The Larks are hosting an Open House to recruit new members on Tuesday, October 2, 2012 in the choir room of Christ Church in Pelham Manor, 1415 Pelhamdale Avenue. Members must audition for parts and pay annual dues. For further information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
3) Shade and Shadow: A Selection of British and American Silhouettes. Bartow-Pell Mansion and Museum, 895 Shore Rd, Bronx, NY This exhibition presents a small selection of 19th-century British and American silhouettes from Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum and four private collections. Before photography became widely available, silhouette portraits were quick, easy, and affordable. Elegant ladies, family scenes, charming children, and more reveal a compelling slice of life from the golden age of this art form. Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday from 12-4.
$5 for adults; $3 for seniors & students. Free for children under six
4) Volunteer Appreciation Night, participating restaurants. Posto 22 Restaurant and Bar, 22 Division St., New Rochelle, NY If you volunteer anywhere, you get 20% off your dine-in dinner check Wednesday nights at Posto 22, and 34 other great Westchester restaurants (Alcohol not included). If your 501(c)3 organization does not have an ID., contact ThankYouForCaring for FREE cards for your entire group. You may also get the cards at The Volunteer Center of the United Way.
5) CNR Castle Gallery Presents "In Retrospect." The College of New Rochelle Castle Gallery Exhibit, 29 Castle St., New Rochelle, NY. Through Sunday, November 4, 2012. In Retrospect presents the work of three artists— Nava Atlas, Maureen Cummins, and Ann Lovett—who explore contemporary culture through the lens of the past. Their shared source of inspiration is the book, a form that, while intimate and familiar, also carries with it the weight of history and the voice of authority. The artists delved into public and private archives to gather images, documents, texts, and ephemera as source material. Rearranging and combining these found elements with new material, they create provocative new works that expose biases and question assumptions about what we know and how we know it.