The Westchester County Clerk's Office is setting up shop at on Friday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. with its mobile passport office.
Every American citizen, including infants, must have a passport for travel outside our national borders even to countries like Canada, Mexico and islands in the Caribbean that previously accepted other identification.
The US Department of State recommends suggests first time applicants submit their documents at least 6 weeks prior to the date you'll need it for your trip abroad.
- First-time applicants, those under 16 or anyone who has changed their name, those whose previous passports were issued more than 15 years ago or whose passports have been lost, damaged or stolen must appear in person to submit their applications.
- For adults who are in the above categories, you can complete or download a DS-11 application that must be signed in the presence of a passport agent. Print and fill out the form in black ink on one-sided pages.
- Your passport photo must be printed in color on photo quality paper, size 2 inches by 2 inches (51 mm) and your head must be between 1 inch and 1 and 3/8 inches. You must appear before a white or off-white background with both eyes open, no uniforms, hats or non-religious head coverings. Prescription glasses are permissible, but tinted lenses are not- unless you have a medical certificate. Copied or scanned images from drivers licenses and cellphones are not acceptable.
- Infants must appear alone in their photos with both eyes open and looking toward the camera- covering a car seat with a white sheet is suggested.
- Applications for minors under age 16 must be submitted by a parent or guardian along with proof of that relationship: a US or foreign birth certificate with both parents' names, an adoption decree or a court order establishing custody or guardianship. Previous passports are not accepted as evidence of parental relationship and any parental name changes must also be documented.
- If both parents are not present to submit the application with the minor, the absent parent must submit a notarized statement of consent. A parent with sole legal custody must prove that status.
- Passport application fees range from $95 for minors to $140 for adults.
- If your adult passport is expired but was issued within the last 15 years, you can submit it for renewal by mail with a form DS-82. Otherwise you must follow the instructions for first time applicants.
More information about passports- including identification documentation, forms and fees- and travel advisories are available at the US Department of State website.
Editor's note: The mobile passport office will be in Pelham on Friday, not Thursday as previously listed.