The Pearl River girls basketball team figured to look very different this season with only one starter, senior guard Marissa Scognamiglio, returning from last season's section championship squad.
Through two games, the results look very similar. Pearl River took advantage of its athleticism to pressure Scarsdale on both ends of the floor on the way to a 70-40 victory at home Wednesday to improve to 2-0.
Pearl River's defensive pressure disrupted Scarsdale (2-1) the entire game, while the Pirates generated much of their offense in transition. Pearl River led 18-1 late in the first quarter and 46-17 at halftime, making it easier to get the entire roster involved.
For the second time in two games, three Pirates reached double figures in scoring, but forward Emma Daly is the only one to do it in both games. She scored 11 points Wednesday after chipping in 14 in the 69-46 season-opening victory over Mt. Vernon. Another new starter, junior guard Sam Alicandri, led Pearl River with 13 points and Scognamiglio added 10 Wednesday.
Pearl River Shuts Down Ramapo in Boys Basketball
The Pearl River boys team also dominated with defense Wednesday, winning 61-21 at Ramapo. Junior forward Kevin Degnan gave the Pirates all the offense they would need with 26 points to go along with 13 rebounds. Senior forward Tom Davis added 14 for Pearl River (2-1).
- Pearl River bowling against North Rockland at Pearl River Lanes, 3:30 p.m.
- Pearl River wrestling at Suffern, 4:30 p.m.
- Pearl River girls basketball at home against Clarkstown North, 4 p.m.
- Pearl River boys basketball plays Westlake in the Rye Neck Tournament, 5 p.m.
- Pearl River wrestling competes in the Cornwall Tournament, 9:30 a.m.
- Pearl River girls track runs in teh Ignation Invitational at Fordham University, 12:30 p.m.
- Pearl River boys basketball in Rye Neck Tournament, consolation at 1 p.m. and championship at 3 p.m.
- Pearl River hockey plays Hendrick Hudson at Brewster Ice Arena, 6:20 p.m.
Share Sports Results, Pictures on Patch
Coaches, parents and other followers of Pearl River athletics, please send scores and information to firstname.lastname@example.org or upload your pictures directly to stories about games as they are posted on Pearl River Patch.
Don't forget this can include youth sports as well as updates on local athletes as they compete on the college level.