Pelham is the oldest town in Westchester County. It was first inhabited by Siwanoy Indians until Thomas Pell signed a treaty in 1654 to buy today's town of Pelham, the Bronx and the land along Long Island Sound (north to the Rye border). The state legislature incorporated the town of Pelham on March 7, 1788. Two villages were incorporated within the town -- the village of Pelham Manor in 1891 and the village of Pelham in 1896. Today, about 12,000 residents live in the 1.2-square-mile town. It is just a 29-minute Metro North train ride from New York City. It is now home to commuters who often say they have an easier time getting to work than Manhattanites. Pelham offers its residents great shopping on Fifth Avenue and at the Four Corners Shopping Center, and plenty of parks, from Glover Field to Ingalis Field, to get active outdoors. And there's no dearth of options when it comes to worship. Pelhamites can choose from five active churches and one synagogue. Though the two villages share a school system, each has its own government offices and police department. Edward Hotchkiss serves as the mayor of the village of Pelham and Joseph C. Hays, Jr. serves as mayor of the village of Pelham Manor.